- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar (2 ounces)
- Separate 4 of the eggs, putting the whites into a medium sized bowl and saving the yolks for another purpose. Add the remaining 4 whole eggs and 2 tablespoons of water to the whites and whisk well.
- In a medium ovenproof nonstick skillet heat the oil over a medium flame. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and a few turns of pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet covering them evenly. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and let cook until the egg mixture has set around the edges but is somewhat liquid in the middle, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Place the skillet under the broiler about 2 inches from the heat until the surface is set and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or the egg mixture will become tough.
- Cut the frittata into 8 wedges and serve.