yield: Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cored apples (zestar, paula reds or macoun work best)
- 4 thick onion rounds
- 1 fennel bulb, quartered
- Mix the butter, fennel seeds, sugar, salt and pepper. Grease a baking dish with some of the mixture.
- With the remaining mixture, rub the cored apples inside and out .
- Place the onion rounds in the baking dish and top with the buttered apples. Add the fennel bulb to the dish.
- Bake at 425 degrees F until the apples are soft – approximately 1 hour.