Adapted from Asparagus to Zucchini – A guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce, Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 large leeks or 4 small leeks, cut in half lengthwise, washed, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 2-3 T. apple cider or beer
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add Brussels sprouts and blanch 2-3 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, chop bacon into 1/2” pieces and cook in a skillet slowly, until crispy. Be careful not to burn. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon, leaving behind the grease. Reserve 2 T. of the grease and place the rest in a glass custard dish and refrigerate, saving for another use.
- Saute the leeks in the bacon fat until barely tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in apple cider or beer and cook to heat through.
- Add drained Brussels sprouts and reserved bacon to the pan, stir well and heat through. Season with pepper to taste.